Friday, 21 May 2010

I have to write a Shakespearean Sonnet?

I know it has to be 14 lines, and each line needs 10 syllables. I also know it has to be in the rhyme scheme: ABABCDCDEFEFGG but it is very hard! Can someone help me out? I was thinking about writing it about growing a flower or something, particularly a rose, but any subject matter will do. Can someone please help me get started? Thanks! And happy new year!

I have to write a Shakespearean Sonnet?
Poetry writing is very difficult. The best way to start is to come up with a theme that you want to discuss. Then, pick the subject through which you want to convey this theme. For example, if you want to write a sonnet about loss of innocence, you could do so metaphorically by describing a wilting flower.





Once you have your theme and subject matter, start to play around and write out your ideas in a first draft. It does not have to be perfect! Just get your ideas on paper. Remember to use lots of descriptive words.





After you have done this, it is time to work your poem into the form of a Shakespearean sonnet. Adjust the lines to fit the rhyme and syllable requirements.





It is a very difficult job, but if you approach it step-by-step like this it should make the process easier. Good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment