Saturday, 14 November 2009

What kind of mulch should I use?

We have boxwoods lining the front of our house and I'm wanting to fill in the area with mulch. We had used a cypress mulch before (I think?) and it seemed to wash away and disappear! I was thinking like a natural gravel, but I don't know that gravel will allow me to plant flowers in front of the boxwoods. I would like something that is easy to maintain (very important!) and will work well if I decide to plant flowers. Thanks!

What kind of mulch should I use?
Boxwoods like cooler soil so a thick covering that breathes is a very good thing.





Bark chips could be a great option for you. It's natural, inexpensive and low maintenance. All you need to do is apply a fresh layer, a few inches deep, at the beginning of the season.





Unfortunately, however, boxwoods have very shallow root systems that will get significantly damaged by digging around them, so you might want to settle your flowers elsewhere.
Reply:pine needles are good if they are available in your area


cotton burr mulch, peanut hull mulch, cotton seed hulls, and pecan shells are all great under boxwood.


if you do rock place water permeable landscape fabric above the soil to keep the rocks from working down into the soil as they settle.





don't keep the mulch too deep/thick

mobile

No comments:

Post a Comment