Friday, 18 November 2011

I am looking for an old song which contains the line," I envy every flower in your garden"?

My mother is 94 and she says she can remember her grandmother singing this song

I am looking for an old song which contains the line," I envy every flower in your garden"?
There is an old poem by Henry Dyke called A lover's envy - it goes like this:





I envy every flower that blows


Along the meadow where she goes,


And every bird that sings to her,


And every breeze that brings to her


The fragrance of the rose.





I envy every poet's rhyme


That moves her heart at eventime,


And every tree that wears for her


Its brightest bloom, and bears for her


The fruitage of its prime.





I envy every Southern night


That paves her path with moonbeams white,


And silvers all the leaves for her,


And in their shadow weaves for her


A dream of dear delight.





I envy none whose love requires


Of her a gift, a task that tires:


I only long to live to her,


I only ask to give to her


All that her heart desires.





Perhaps someone put it to a tune?


No comments:

Post a Comment