Tuesday, 28 April 2009

Is it ok to line flower box...................?

My boyfriend made me a wooden flower box for a window ledge. I'm wondering if it's ok to line it with plastic before I add the dirt, or will it rot the roots?

Is it ok to line flower box...................?
"Paint" the inside of your window box with a plastic cement product or water sealer for wood. This will slow down rotting of the wood. Drill drain holes in the bottom of the window boxes. Clean out the potting soil each fall and refill in the spring. Make sure the drain holes remain unobstructed. A thin layer of pea gravel in the bottom of your flower box will aid in keeping your drain holes clear. Drill at least a 3/8 sized hole for the drain. Proper drainage will prevent fungus diseases from killing your plants. Good luck!
Reply:I did that once and ended up killing the flowers due to root rot and some strange mold growing on the top of the soil. I am SURE that it was due to no drainage.





If I had it to do over, I would actually drill holes into the bottom of it and fill the bottom two inches with gravel. And I would possibly even leave the flowers potted and just cover the tops with Spanish moss or something.


No comments:

Post a Comment